27.10.12

Outpost: Black Sun (2012)

I don't remember much about the original Outpost, except that it was super cool and pretty scary. Outpost: Black Sun is, unfortunately, not. This sequel returns us to the weird bunker, full of Nazi zombies and nasty experiments, by way of a young girl, Lena (Catherine Steadman), who's chasing war criminals and a scientist (Richard Coyle), who's interested in the Nazi technology.


The story is fairly interesting and might have worked under the right circumstances, but the film moves too slow, and it's not scary at all. The last act is especially disappointing - it's too silly, and fails to cash in on the potential of the setup.

The film also looks cheap. It's shot on video - which is very obvious sometimes - and Steadman's acting drags it down even further. She's cute as a button, but believable she's not. Count the times she sits down and buries her head in her hands, spoiled teenager-style, I dare you.

Also, you know how you can tell that a zombie film is low budget? If the zombies only get shot in the chest. We all know zombies need a head-shot to die, but those are very expensive to do.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/11/12 19:10

    I watched the preview for this movie and I wasn’t quite sure what to think of it. However, my husband loves all things zombie so I decided to add the movie to our Blockbuster @ Home movie queue to rent. It should be here in the next few days via mail. I work for DISH so I’ve been using Blockbuster for a while. It’s interesting that you pointed out that the zombies don’t get shot in the head. I don’t think I would have noticed. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Ariane!

    ReplyDelete